Finished Product First...

Image


Image

Setup

Image

This whole thing started out of my need to replace my 10-year-old Ikea desk that was falling apart. I had a bunch of 3' rough sawn beam cut-offs leftover from an exposed beam building project and all these leftover mahogany cut-offs have been sitting around in my garage for years. I figured a giant butcher block design would look pretty cool and I could get the most out of all the materials.

Image

I had to borrow this monster circular saw to rip the beams in half. It was still just too shallow to go all the way through but it was close enough.

Image

After getting all the pieces roughly milled down I decided on the pattern. I wanted to keep the slab as thick as possible. Every piece here is about 2"

First Glue-up and Milling

Image

I biscuited and glued up sections around 12" wide to put through the planer

Image

Doggo supervisor laying down on the job

Image

I only had so many clamps at the time so I had to work a couple of sections and let them dry before I moved on

Image

Don't waste money on cheap clamps... Lesson learned

Image

All the sections ready for the planer

Image

Image

Pretty rough

Image

Planer working miracles

Image

All the pieces finished out at 1 7/8" thick, perfect for a nice chunky slab

Image

Man I need some dust collection in my shop

Putting It All Together

Image

All milled up!

Image

More biscuiting. This is really more to keep everything lined up than to keep it together

Image

Image

Clamping sections together and keeping everything flat

Image

Took some creative clamping to get the whole thing together

Image

As you can see from the level this top is perfectly flat. All my efforts paid off.

Image

All the pieces are together and ready to get squared off

Image

Setup a poor man's track saw and squared it up nicely

Image

I routed a 1/8" round-over top and bottom just to break the edge

So

Image

Much

Image

Sanding...

Image

Finishing Touches

Image

After spending tons of time sanding the top I flipped it over and gave the underside a good once over. Then I placed my wireless charger where I wanted it to sit and marked it out

Image

I routed out the hole in stages until there was just enough wood to charge my phone through and made a channel so the wire would sit flat and run out the back of the desk.

Image

Since I'm working with two very different woods it was tough to pick a finish that would work well for both. After much deliberation, I decided to finish the top with tung oil.

Image

It looked good even after just one coat but I wanted it darker

Image

Heres the slab still wet after 4 coats

Image

And after drying for 48 hours I'm finally ready to install

Final Installation

Image

Bought this very cool set of motorized desk legs online and asembled them out of the box. Standing desk legs have come a long way the last few years. I was a little worried my top was going to be too heavy but these power through no problem

Image

Just a matter of pre-drilling and screwing the top to the base. I added a couple brackets in the middle to help keep everything from moving later

Image

Installing the controls and hidden wireless charger underneath

Image

Found these awesome adjustable monitor arms that clamp to the desk. Easy install and great way to reduce desk clutter

Image

Finally all set up and ready for some gaming... I mean work

Image

Wireless charger in action!

Image

Image

Legs in the extended position. Very comfortable to lean on a bit while typing away

Image

Image

Thanks for checking out my desk build! Get in touch here if you'd like Built to Code to build you your own awesome custom standing (or sitting) desk!